"There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are messengers of overwhelming grief... and unspeakable love.” - Washington Irving




Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Day 8 Mass Offering - We Are Not Alone

I am overwhelmed...

For the past days since we shared our online journal for darling Marcus to family and friends, Jhon and I have been constantly receiving thoughts of support and sympathy from the most unexpected people with overflowing compassion and prayers. Likewise, messages of love and comfort from people who I never knew went through the same ordeal as we did.

My high school best friend Trisha, who is thousands of miles away, shared with me the touching story she went through with her second child, dear Rielle. Though theirs had a happy ending, their journey is like deja vu to me, so I want to dedicate an entire journal entry just for that at a later time.

For now, I want to share the comparable stories of friends and family who went through, and who are still going through, the same pains we are. A friend, Grace, whom I haven't seen in years just informed me that she had a miscarriage last week. I am shocked. I feel truly sorry that I still could not answer her call. At this time, I believe I am not yet in the right emotional state to talk. Though I will message her for sure. I will make sure I am there through this also very trying time in her life.

My cousin Kuya Bob and wife Susan, recounted to me last night that they experienced the loss of their third child while Susan was on her 6th month of pregnancy. I am crushed, I never realized. And no matter how heartbreaking, Kuya Bob gave us hope by sharing this scripture that encouraged him and Susan during their difficult moment:
"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
I know there are a lot of parents grieving the loss of a child, but I never expected that a number of which are much closer to home. Friends of family, friends of friends. People we actually know, who also grieve in silence. We feel a certain connection with them. It is quite relieving to realize that we are not alone. Jhon and I thank you for sharing your experiences with us.

Also today, is Ash Wednesday. It is the first day of Lent where we repent before God. When we receive the ash in the shape of the cross, we are reminded:
"Remember, O man, that you are dust, and unto dust you shall return." Genesis 3:19

"Turn away from sin and be faithful to the Gospel." Mark 1:15
Jhon and I want to make a personal devotion for our little Angel Marcus within the 40 days before Easter. Ever since we lost our son, we feel that we have become better persons, better Christians deep within. Though we are still looking within us to offer up something to God. The love for our son Marcus will lead the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment