"There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are messengers of overwhelming grief... and unspeakable love.” - Washington Irving




Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Marcus Love-band

While browsing through Fully Booked hoping to find some good reading, I stumbled upon some rubber wristband "name tags." I am very much familiar with the Lance Armstrong "Livestrong" wristband but this one had a selection of various names you can choose from. You'll have to check though if your name was one of the lucky ones chosen to be produced.

I instinctively looked for our Marcus' name. And to my luck there it was. Woohoo!

I excitedly showed Jhon my newly-found treasure. With it I also got one wristband that says "Little Angel" which completed my term of endearment for my baby.

*LITTLE ANGEL MARCUS*

To add to the distinctive character of the wristband, encouraging words are artistically scattered along the circumference of the bracelet.

*Smile * Dream * Inspire * Laugh * Hope * Trust * Believe * Dare * Encourage * Wish *

I love that these words are all intertwined with the name of our Marcus. These words represent everything that he is about. It is truly inspiring. It may look cheesy on the outset but if we look deep inside us, some good words of encouragement can go a long way. And Marcus is the perfect channel.

A couple of times I've experienced myself encouraged by these words. One morning I woke up feeling quite down about myself. It was one of those days. Incidentally as I opened my eyes the first sight I saw was my wrist, Marcus' name, and the words Hope and Encourage staring at my face. Needless to say, I spent that day more hopeful and encouraged with an air of peace within me. One of my more productive days to date.

We have been wearing these wristbands for almost a month now. We never remove it. It's definitely special.


As always, we wanted to share the beauty and magic we experience from the love of Marcus. We decided to buy more of the wristbands and distribute them to family. Fully Booked managed to collect 12 bracelets for us from their various branches. Enough to give away to our 10 nieces and nephews plus 2 more for 2 adults in the family.

Jhon and I imagined the kids answering people when asked, "Why Marcus?"

"He is our cousin. He is an angel baby."

We thought we would distribute the bracelets on Miguel's birthday celebration, knowing all the kids would be there. And seeing Ate Belle that day was fitting. We knew she would appreciate the meaning behind the wristband.

Her text message that night was very sweet. She promised to always wear it. "Every time I see it, Marcus reminds me to live my best life and to be grateful for everything and to everyone..."

As luck would have it, Jhon accidentally found more wristbands while buying Miguel's birthday gift that afternoon. We will have more to give away to Jhon's family. We were worried it would take some time to collect more. It's very exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment